Thursday, June 18, 2020

DESERT SONGS

I
Desert fathers, you who live in caves
and grottos, who ran away
in search of silence, hear me.

Slowly I become acquainted with you,
even though an urgent voice calls me
back, always, into the crooked world.
I too know the bliss
when the hard wind dies down;
when the heart has found what it asked for,
and still finds it good, if only for a moment
between one season and the next.

Give me today
just a little of your silence,
although I bend the knee to the things of this world.
Give me the strength
to remain waiting in the same place,
to remain standing underneath the sun
till the song sounds clear again
between the bones of my skull.

II
Desert mothers, you who stand
with empty arms, who dance
with the invisible bridegroom,
by what roads does the heart
travel to this place? What appetites
slowly spent themselves
and were calmed, until you came here?
Can you see me, will you recognise me
where I stand, in the hard light
of my desire?

Is there room for my hunger
there, where you read together?
And when the sombre song finds you each morning,
does it have knowledge of me
and the shadow I cast
across the path,
in this noisy old world?

 - Jacques Coetzee

No comments:

Post a Comment